Welcome to my first post and the launch of The Write Stuff. Oh, and Happy Wednesday!
It’s January 18th, and we’re a solid two and a half weeks into our New Year’s resolutions… but, we all know that they’re not exactly the easiest to keep up year round. I always go super hard for a few months and then I just end up falling off. So this year, I decided to take a new approach. Instead of one goal, I decided to have six. I know, I know… you’re probably thinking, “but you just told us you can’t even keep up with one!”
The difference this time is that I am implementing small changes into my life, the right way. I’m taking my time to achieve my goals, instead of putting a ton of pressure on just one resolution.
Whether you have your goal(s) or are still searching for one- here are six little changes you can make this year for an overall happier and healthier you—long term.
1. Let’s start off easy—find a show you like to Binge watch or a great book that you can’t put down! Give yourself an escape from all of the everyday craziness for a few hours a week. You’ll feel refreshed and ready to conquer the world! (Or at least Monday 😉 )
My Current TV Obsessions: New Girl, This is Us, Quantico
Books I Love: The Defining Decade, Time Traveler’s Wife, Gone Girl Series
2. Find a workout you really enjoy—a mind and body cleanse. For me, it’s taking spin classes at CycleBar (location in Winter Park for my Florida peeps). But other goodies are Hot Yoga, Dance Classes, Running Club, Kickball League, ect. Whatever it is for you, the goal should just be to change up your repetitive gym routine and learn to love being active.
3. Cook more often. If you dread cooking (like me) find a way to make it fun! Not only is it easier to make better food choices, but you will save a ton of money! Think about it… your Chipotle bowl can be anywhere from $7.00 to $9.00 (add extra guac PLEASEEE). Spend that x 7 days= too much!
Lately, I’m really into making meals where I replace starchy carbs with their veggie equivalent like Garlic Mashed Cauliflower, Spaghetti Squash Pasta, Baked Zucchini Chips, or Portabella Mushroom Buns. See the Garlic Mashed Cauliflower recipe here. And if that doesn’t sound fun—check out Skinnytaste recipes on Facebook.
4. Organize yo life girl! I just bought my 2017 Agenda from Target. I love this one because it separates your tasks by type and gives you a spot to write down your goals for the week. I’ve found that it keeps me on track and focused on what I want to accomplish. I’m also severely scatter brained with everything I have going on, so I take the time to write down any activities or meetings that I have just as an extra reminder.
5. Volunteer more! Find a cause that you’re passionate about and go help out. I’m not talking every single weekend, but just start once a month. Right now I’m volunteering for a guy who does puppy rescue flights. He has these flights most weekends (sometimes twice a weekend) and just volunteering once or twice a month helps them significantly (plus, who doesn’t want to play with puppies!?). It’s also where I first met one of my dogs, Ollie. You never know how volunteering could end up changing YOUR life for the better too.
6. Be selfish with this one: find a new hobby. Take an hour each week, at minimum, and do something you’ve always wanted to—whether it’s learning to play an instrument, taking photography lessons, painting, doing a handstand… whatever! Just do it. This is your year to do those things you’ve been wanting to do, but kept putting off.
My 2017 hobby: blogging and everything that comes along with it- from SEO to taking awesome pictures. You can expect much more coming from The Write Stuff this year, so stay tuned!
What goals will you set for yourself in 2017?