Happy Hump Day Everyone!!
I tend go through a lot of phases with my meal choices, but they usually revolve around what is the easiest for me to make with my busy schedule. But, since eating the same meals over and over is just plain boring… I’m constantly trying to up my Pinterest game and find new & healthy recipes to add to the rotation. Lately, I’ve been OBSESSED with different lettuce wrap recipes and thought I could share my two favorites to kick off my new series, “Meals of the Moment!”
Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
This recipe is my go-to when I’m having a lazy day, but don’t want to give in to my frozen pizza urges. It’s healthy, simple, easy and best of all- affordable! You only need a handful of ingredients to pull this one off since your sauces and spices will last for a while.
1lb lean ground turkey (can substitute for ground chicken too)
4 green onions thinly sliced
Butter Lettuce Leaves
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp roasted red chili paste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced (I buy pre-minced and just eye it to measure)
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp. salt
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 5-6 minutes (until the turkey is brown).
- Combine the turkey mixture and green onions in a bowl to the side.
- Make your sauce in a separate bowl. Combine hoison sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and red roasted chilli paste.
- Pour sauce over turkey mixture.
- Add the mixture to the boston lettuce leaves and serve!
Taco Turkey Lettuce Wraps
This recipe requires a bit of prep but is worth it, especially on those days when you are craving Mexican but don’t want the added calories that come with it. I always make extra meat and chop up more toppings than I need to have for my lunch the next day. This is the perfect meal to make on taco Tuesday or for Cinco De Mayo this Friday (what great timing I have *wink wink*).
Note: The spices are measured for making your own jar of taco seasoning. You will have extra and can store it in a container or Ziploc bag.
1.5lb ground lean turkey
Lettuce Wraps (I get the brand Garden Life)
1 small onion (I like red, but you can get your preference)
1 can black beans
Reduced fat Mexican-style shredded cheese (I get the brand Market Pantry)
1tbsp Olive Oil
¼ cup Chili Powder
¼ cup Cumin Powder
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
2 tbsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Ground Pepper
- Make the taco seasoning.
- Combine chili powder, cumin powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, sea salt and ground pepper in a container and mix well.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook for 5-6 minutes (until meat is brown).
- Add the taco seasoning to the meat (amount will vary by your preference. Taste test and add more if the meat needs more flavor). Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the seasoning has been absorbed by the meat and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Prep the toppings
- Dice the tomatoes and onions and combine in a bowl.
- Mash the avocado in a separate bowl.
- Heat the can of black beans in a container for 1-2 minutes in the microwave.
- Add the meat and toppings to the lettuce wraps and serve!
Let me know other lettuce wrap recipes in the comments below! I’d love to try your favorites too 🙂